Friday, September 25, 2020

Life in Lockdown

Israel is pushing 7000 Covid cases per day and today the lockdown restrictions get even stricter, with less businesses open and less general movement allowed. Slightly hard to imagine what *less* businesses being open will look like.....This is what fancy Mamila Mall, just outside the Old City in Jerusalem, looked like the other day 


Parking in the garage underneath was ridiculously easy for 9:00 on a weekday, although I laughed out loud to see that some people insisted on playing the Israeli game of "let's-park-in/on-some-unusual-place" despite there being many open spots:


Restaurants are only open for takeout or delivery. Here is the pizza and falafel store in the mercaz 

I have a "red letter", which is a semi-official piece of paper that allows me to travel around. Traveling would be pleasant as the traffic is, of course, much lighter than normal, but police roadblocks make travel VERY challenging. Waze told me my normal 40 minute commute would take twice as long, due to a roadblock that had the main highway down from four lanes to one. To get to work the other day, I went through two police roadblocks (where I just had to say, "I'm a nurse going to work") but theeeen got to the Old City where it is a whole different ballgame: all the entrances have physical barriers preventing entry except through the gates that have groups of officers stationed to check letters, match identification, and on top of that ask each person to explain why they need to enter. I saw this up-close-and-personal when I forgot my letter the first day of lockdown and almost wasn't able to go to work. Thankfully, I got in after 15 minutes by sort of/on purpose/not exactly understanding what Mr Officer said and going through while he was talking with someone else (and praying I wouldn't get arrested. Let's just say that that Red Letter was printed, put in the thickest plastic protector we own and put in my bag before I left the house again).

It is so sad walking around and seeing almost everything shuttered. I have no idea if the economy will be able to rebound from this second hit (current predictions are that it will take 4-5 years for the country to financially recover


On the plus side for me personally, however, I ended a very long work day yesterday by being one of the few people allowed to go to the Kotel (because first, you gotta get in to the Old City and there's only so many people who live- or work there). 

The stairway down, which normally has a robust number of people collecting tzedakah  money, looked like it was Shabbos and not Thursday (in the front right of the photo, you can see scaffolding for the construction being done to make an elevator--HOORAY--to the Kotel plaza)

And the plaza itself was shockingly empty


Each section right near the Kotel is divided up into areas for 20 people, with spots on the ground to show each spot

It wonderful to be there and have the time and space I wanted and needed so much during this extremely-challenging time.....


Wishing us all a very sweet, happy and HEALTHY New Year








No comments:

Post a Comment