Thursday, May 20, 2021

The Sounds of 11 Days of Conflict

What are the sounds we hear? We frequently hear "booms" from either rockets being fired or interceptions from the Iron Dome, including some that shake the windows of our house.  Hard to think that every "boom" we hear means our fellow citizens in the South are running to their shelters, and Israeli soldiers are working even harder.....

We also hear a LOT of planes flying overhead, which is a pretty big change. Our city is reasonably-near a military base with a landing strip, so it's not like we would *never* hear fighter jets above us, but now it's very frequent. It's almost funny because, having spent every summer of my youth in our Winthrop cottage that is literally right under one of the landing patterns for Boston's airport, hearing planes has very pleasant associations for me. But I very quickly snap back to current reality.

In other "noise news": ambulances here have changed the sound of their sirens so no one thinks it is a "get to a shelter" siren. Having heard a few ambulances lately, I will say it's pretty weird hearing the new sound. While it certainly doesn't make me think, "get to a shelter" it also doesn't make me think "get out of the way quickly, there's an ambulance coming through".

Best meme I've seen lately is one describing the average Israeli school child's learning this year as
"Zoom zoom zoom
Boom boom boom
Zoom"
I'm glad that our city ("Sleepy Suburb", as you may recall) has only had one day of remote learning throughout this. Students in hard-hit areas have been on remote learning for the past 11 days....

Hoping that my next update will be about how this is all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment